Job Profile Summary
About the opportunity:
This exciting global role joins the Safety Culture, Human Performance, & Safety Science team to influence the strategy and implementation of human performance in bp and the wider industry with accountability to enhance our safety culture, embed human performance, and research the latest in safety science to bring to the organization.
Consider the role a blend of human factors and ergonomics, human and organizational performance, and “new view” safety and risk management.
Our team sits within our central Health, Safety, Environment & Carbon function with scope focused on both process and operational safety across all bp business.
We are currently embracing a new hybrid working solution, meaning this role is split between remote and office working. We are also open to some flexibility in the bp's office based location.
About the role:
In more detail, some of your key accountabilities will be to:
- Support the global implementation of the Human Performance Strategy in bp by providing expertise and support of its execution and further development
- Support the team to develop process for collecting and prioritizing areas to research in safety science (possibilities include technology, wearables, digital, data analytics, systems thinking, resilience engineering, complexity science etc.), conducts initial research to critically evaluate potential benefits and challenges to implementation, and works collaboratively across the business to pilot and evaluate selected applications
- Develop new and improve existing processes/tools/approaches and information to support the line in implementing human performance and improving safety and risk management capacity
- Network with the human factors/human and organizational performance community within bp and externally, including industry and professional bodies to influence industry standards and identify opportunities for adoptions of best practice
- Build human performance capability across the organization
- Coaching the line, functional leaders, and Human Performance Champions on the practical application of human performance tools and approaches
- Enhance safety leadership capability through contribution to content and engagements with the business to continue implementation of the Safety Leadership Principles in the organization
You will have a Bachelors and/or Masters degree in the following disciplines: Human Factors & Ergonomics, Industrial/Engineering Psychology, HSE, Risk Management or closely allied disciplines (Masters level preferred).
It would be essential that you have:
- Practical experience in several of the following areas: Application of human performance principles and the tools and techniques of human factors in the majority of our focus areas including safety culture and leadership, task analysis, managing safe work, procedures and job aides, learning and incident investigation, ergonomics and design, and management of change (experience in all not required, but an appetite to learn and grow essential)
- Track record of strategic thinking and influencing in your part of the business:
- Promoting the human performance perspective in your business and applications of associated tools and techniques
- Development and mentoring/coaching others in human performance/human factors
- Interest in safety research and its applications in various domains including technology, digital, data, systems thinking, etc. to support the team as it adds scope of safety science
Your curiosity, critical thinking, human-centered approach, coaching/mentoring skills, facilitation skills and a growth mindset are a great combination for long-term results.
It would also be useful that you have:
- Human Factors related qualification: Technical Member or above of the Chartered Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors (TechCIEHF) UK or Full Member, Human Factors and Ergonomics Society US, or local equivalent or willingness to actively pursue such qualification
- Extensive experience in industries such as oil and gas, utilities, transportation, aviation, or industry with similar risk profiles with time working close to front-line operations
- Strong knowledge in research methods and qualitative/quantitative analysis
- Familiarity with agile ways of working
Why join our team?
We support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to crafting an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life.
Reinvent your career as you help our business meet the challenges of the future. Apply now!
(Please note that the job advert will close 23 September 2021.)
EntityProduction & Operations
Job Family GroupHSSE Group
Travel requiredYes - up to 10%
Time TypeFull time
CountryAustralia, United Kingdom, United States of America
About BPPRODUCTION & OPERATIONS
This is the place to truly drive change. Our people develop hydrocarbon resources, deliver projects, operate refineries as well as oil and gas production assets.
Join us and make a difference by:
• making our production and operations safer and more standardised
• driving quicker reduction of our carbon emissions
• growing cash returns and delivering improved reliability and optimisation
• maximising efficiency through sharing resources
• accelerating the digital transformation of our operating assets
• developing our people faster, leveraging the scale of P&O
• building greater integration and collaboration in service of our purpose